Anime NYC, New York City’s anime convention, is seeking talented individuals who can help interpret for Japanese guests who are participating in the event, which runs from Friday, November 15 through Sunday, November 17 at the Javits Center. A showcase of the best of Japanese pop culture in the biggest city in America, Anime NYC brings anime fans and publishers together for three days of unique exhibits, exclusive screenings, extensive panels, and appearances by some of the biggest creators in Japan.
Since its inception in 2017, Anime NYC has hosted more than 50 guests from Japan over the past two years, and as their guest list continues to grow, so does their need for skilled interpreters.
Do you have Japanese language skills and want to be part of the Anime NYC team? Check out the details below, and then fill out the application! But act now because the deadline is Saturday, August 10 at 11:59 p.m.
Interpreter Level 1 – Fluent Japanese-English Interpreters
- Interpret for guests on stage for panels.
- Clearly communicate words from the guests to the audience and field any questions from fans.
- Interpret for press interviews between media and guests.
- Interpret for other special events as necessary.
- JLPT N2 or higher or equivalent experience.
Interpreter Level 2 – Conversationally Fluent Japanese-English Interpreters/Escorts
- Escort Japanese guests from point A to point B in the Javits Center.
- Communicate and assess needs from the Japanese guests and publishers to Anime NYC staff.
- Answer show-related questions from Japanese fans at the event.
- JLPT N4 or higher or equivalent experience.
- Translators must be 18 years of age at the start of the event.
- All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on August 10, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances. The application does not guarantee a spot on the interpreting team at Anime NYC 2019. Applicants will be subject to a review process and interview and will be notified of their application status by August 23, 2019.
- Applicants selected for in-person interviews will be notified of their interview date in August or September. Anime NYC will hold 15- to 20-minute interviews in New York City on a weekend.
- All interpreters will have paid roles, and Anime NYC interpreters will be required to complete employment eligibility documents.
- All interpreters will also receive a badge good for admission to the convention during the entire weekend.
- Anime NYC interpreters will need to make their own travel, lodging, and parking arrangements.
To apply, please fill out this form on Google Docs or visit animenyc.com/interpreter. If you have any questions, please contact event organizers at email@example.com. Again, the deadline is this Saturday, August 10 at 11:59 p.m.
About Anime NYC
Anime NYC is a creation of LeftField Media, a boutique event company made up of dedicated fans and experienced convention organizers.
Anime NYC is powered by Crunchyroll and will feature Crunchyroll, Aniplex, Bandai Namco, Funimation, HIDIVE, Kinokuniya Bookstore, Kodansha Comics, Sentai Filmworks, SUNRISE, Tokyo Otaku Mode, Yen Press, Vertical, VIZ Media, and more!
- Friday, November 15 from 1:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 16 from 10:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 17 from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Registration opens two hours prior to start time.
If you aren’t applying for their interpreter positions, you should consider attending. Tickets are on sale now for this celebration of Japanese animation, manga, and cosplay in the heart of NYC.
Weekend (all three days): $65
Friday only: $45
Saturday only: $55
Sunday only: $40
Early-bird prices end on Sunday, September 15.
To see a list of guests and panels, please visit Anime NYC’s website.