17th Contemporary Dance Showcase: Japan + East Asia
Friday, January 6 at 7:30 p.m. – followed by a MetLife Meet-the-Artists Reception
Saturday, January 7 at 7:30 p.m.
Japan Society – 333 E. 47th Street (between First and Second Avenues)
Admission: $30/$25 Japan Society members
Bodies will be in motion on Japan Society’s stage as the Performing Arts season continues with 17th Contemporary Dance Showcase: Japan + East Asia. Since 1997, the showcase has given Japanese and East Asian choreographers a platform during the annual Association of Performing Arts Presenters conference, helping to launch the careers of many top-level artists.
This year’s showcase will focus on duos, featuring five from Japan, Taiwan and Korea.
- Co. Un Yamada’s original interpretation of Igor Stravinsky’s composition Les Noces (The Wedding) [Japan]
- World Premiere of TranSenses, which merges the movements of Akiko Kitamura with an audiovisual landscape by Navid Navab [Japan]
- In Theatre’s Tschüss!! Bunny, a whimsical perspective on serious themes choreographed by Yen-Cheng Liu [Taiwan]
- DANCE’s muscular and fluid Hugin/Munin, choreographed by Po-Cheng Tsai and inspired by Norse mythology [Taiwan]
- JJBro’s Jimmy & Jack, a kinetic tale of two boys coming into their own [Korea]
For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit Japan Society’s website.