JAPANFes Ramen Contest 2017（秋の陣）in Manhattan
Saturday, September 16 from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Midtown West – 8th Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets
Admission: $10 for 1 bowl of ramen
Explore an array of Japanese ramen styles at the autumn edition of the JAPANFes Street Ramen Contest. This tasting extravaganza features 15 types of ramen by shops based in Japan, New York, LA, Boston, and Rhode Island. They will go head-to-head to see who will be crowned the ultimate champion, as voted on by JAPANFes attendees.
- EAK Ramen – Japan, LA and NY
- In Ezo – Hokkaido Japan
- Ken’s Ramen – Providence, RI
- Kishuya Ramen Noodle Bar – Upstate NY
- Menka Hinata – Manhattan
- Mentoku – Tokyo, Japan, and NY
- Menya Jiro – (October 2016 Ramen Contest Champion)
Kagoshima, Japan and Manhattan
- Menya Masamune – (April 2017 Ramen Contest Champion)
Miyazaki, Japan; Russia, Vietnam, and Cambodia
- Nishida Shoten – Manhattan
- Rai Rai Ken – Manhattan
- Ramen Musashi – Upstate NY
- Ramen Nikkou – Shiga, Japan
- Shuya Cafe de Ramen – Queens
- Yume wo Katare – Japan, Boston, and Taiwan
The cost is $10 for one bowl of ramen. Purchase three bowls and receive a free drink. One guest who chooses the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners correctly will win a round trip to Japan!
If you’re not too full from sampling ramen, there will be other vendors in attendance to serve a variety of Japanese street food.
JapanFes Food Vendors
- Harmony of Shining Women Foundation: Hawaiian Coffee and Japanese Handmade Crafts
- Ishibashi: Cheesecake
- Jessie Foodie: Oyaki
- Karl’s Balls: Takoyaki
- Kazuchan: Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki (savory pancake)
- Osaka-Ya: Osaka-style Okonomi-yaki
- RESOBOX: Taiyaki Parfait
- Teineiya: Grilled Squid
Wuhao New York will sell tenugui, the Japanese traditional cloth; Mizudama will have a selection of children’s clothing; and Wingbot will have kawaii products.
At 2:00 p.m. there will be live music by Kohei and TiA, a Japanese recoding artist who sings the end theme of NARUTO. They will host a “Miss Red” contest and dance party featuring J-pop songs and a free photoshoot. Wear any type of red clothing – formal or casual – to JAPANFes and receive one free Calpico drink. To enter, sign up at Performance Stage by 2:00 p.m. A lucky winner will receive a grand prize of three free ramen and free tickets to J-Anime Night on October 27 and 28!